If there is one thing in life,that is more dearer than the life itself, it is health. Life without good health is a misery. And life is maintained through good health. Longevity of life, if one wishes it, is not very pleasant without an accompanying good health. A good marriage between health and life makes things very easy. If health is lost, everything is lost.
This applied in all kinds of learning. Some believe that great thinkers, scientists et al are so focused on their work that they forget their health and put their life to risk. It is very untrue. How Great MK Gandhi took care of his health is a well documented in his writings. Thought the focus of his writings are more towards betterment of society in general, this point is often forgotten.
In a learning environment, we need practice. In this mood of practicing health should not be forgotten. A musical instrument, such as the violin, if practiced with right posture promotes good health. A wrong practice could deteriorate the health too. That is a direct relation between good practice and good health. Therefore, it becomes very important to practice in a correct way than head blindly towards quantity of practice rather than quality of practice.
My sister who went to doctor for any illness, straightaway got one same reply from all the doctors she visited. That is reduce your fat, take care of your health. It is common knowledge that a healthy mind resides in a healthy body. For it was written “Sareeramadyam ghalu dharmasadhanam”. (शरीरमाद्यं खलु धर्मसाधनम्).
Read more from this series here :-
- Life Lessons from violin class : Lesson 1 : Do not think ! - After learning some basic notes on the staves I was told to know it by heart. I had to memorize it, and then tell when I see a note. I used to count, say memorizing only the first not in space , the “F” on Treble clef. From there on I would count and then […]
- Life Lessons from violin class : Lesson 2 : Don’t work hard - The power of doing work is a single most important criteria that distinguishes a human as a social animal compared to others. The collective and individual efforts towards a work makes one understand the minute and the big picture at the same time. All work is not easy. It is also possible that some workaholics […]
- Life Lessons from violin class : Lesson 3 : Emphasize on Quality of Practice - I read “ Debunking the 10,000 hours rule “ after my previous lesson learned. My previous lesson learned said about not working hard. The working hard part is broken into small steps taken one at a time to overcome the hardness of the work. This works for people who are ready to be steady and […]
- Life Lessons from violin class : Lesson 4 : Don’t tap your foot out loud. Focus on what you play. - In violin class I have been taught to keep the rhythm of the song by tapping with the foot. The human metronome works parallel to the song being played. Often we have to shift attention from the song and listen to see if the rhythm and beat is correct per bar. This shift in attention […]
- Life Lessons from violin class : Lesson 5 : Practice till perfection - Practice, practice, practice. Quantity and Quality all matters. Playing any musical instrument is all about practice. It is all the more true for the violin. As a student I have to practice. I know I can. I know I will. But how much ? Till my hands ache ? Till I feel it is enough […]
- Life Lessons from violin class : Lesson 6: Health conscious practicing - If there is one thing in life,that is more dearer than the life itself, it is health. Life without good health is a misery. And life is maintained through good health. Longevity of life, if one wishes it, is not very pleasant without an accompanying good health. A good marriage between health and life makes […]
- Life Lessons from violin class : Lesson 7: Start slowly grasp quickly - The v.v. age old saying goes an umpteenth time to say ” Slow and Steady wins the race” . This is because it is true. But the beauty of the truth lies in experiencing it in action. As with violin or any musical instrument, the beginning is really very slow. It is expected to be […]